Sunday, March 11, 2007

Richard Jeni - October 31, 1962–March 10, 2007


Richard Jeni took his own life on Saturday, This guy made me laugh. ALOT!
He was from Brooklyn and was not ashamed. He was a brilliant comedian and deserved more recognition than he got.
The first time I saw him was on his HBO Special "Richard Jeni: Boy From New York City". I laughed so hard I nearly blacked out.

Three years ago while we were still trying to get "Beds & Breakfast" made we actually got his head shot from his agent. Both my partner Paul and I were thrilled, as we were both big fans of Richard's. Unfortunately the schedules couldn't be worked out (as is so often the case) because he was in production on a sitcom at the time. I consider that a missed opportunity to work with someone I really respected. Now I will never get the chance,

What would make a guy who is so talented take is own life? I have no answer. Having been in show business for the last 25 years, I have met a lot of people. Some are not with us anymore for various reasons. Drugs, AIDS, Alcohol abuse and car wrecks, has taken a few people that I have called friends. I don't know anyone who has committed suicide. It is a very foreign thing to me.

His voice and his comedy will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

tj said...

I know suicide all too well and still, I could lose a lifetime trying to understand it.
...and you're right Jeni was a laugh riot.